Before heading out the door to shop for that new or used rv lets take a look at the different styles that are available. The main classes are as follows: Class A Motorhome, Class B Motorhome, Class C Motorhome, Travel Trailers, Fifth Wheels, Pop Up Campers, Truck Campers, Sport Utility and Hybrid Campers. The latter 2 are the newest kids on the block, the first three are driving units and do not require a tow vehicle.
- Class A Motorhome: This is the largest and most expensive type of RV. They are built up from a chassis that includes the frame, suspension and drive train.
- Class B Motorhome: Also known as a van camper or conversion, they are built using a van body. They are the smallest of the motorhomes.
- Class C Motorhome: Sometimes called a mini-motorhome, these units have a van front end and are easily recognizable. In size they fall somewhere between a Class A and Class C.
- Travel Trailers: This unit is towed from a bumper level hitch and is available in many lengths.
- Fifth Wheels: This is also a tow able unit, but requires a bed mounted fifth wheel hitch.
- Pop Up Campers: Also known as folding or tent trailers, these are the smallest type of tow able camper. They make a great entry level unit for those converting from tent camping to an rv. They have a rigid roof, floor and partial sidewalls. The rest of the unit is canvas, this still gives you the feeling of being outdoors.
- Truck Campers: May also be called a slide in camper. This camper is slid into the bed to a pickup truck.
- Sport Utility: This is basically a travel trailer with a garage, sometimes called a toy hauler. There is a door at the rear of the unit that drops down as a ramp, allowing you to park a 4 wheeler, dirt bike or other toy you may have.
- Hybrid Camper: This is a cross between a travel trailer and a pop up. This style has hard sides all around, but the beds fold out on the ends like a pop up and are covered with canvas. They are lighter than most travel trailers and can be towed with a mid sized suv.
There you have the 9 RV types explained in there basic form.